The last couple of days have been quite busy with our daughter starting a new school and us working our way back into our the school-year schedule of our lives and ministry in Germany. We are very grateful for all of your assistance to us and for your prayers which the Lord has answered with healing and protection. The deep vein thrombosis has been painful at times but none of the possible worst cases has developed, i.e. no emoblism, no stroke, no heart attack praise God! A week from today, days earlier than we had been able to schedule previously, I will finally get in to see an orthopedist here who will tell me whether or no I can take off the huge Vacoped orthopedic boot and move to just using a splint or brace. Please pray that the word be "yes" for that development.
The Lord Jesus be with you,
Last week the bills for Fort Wayne Orthopedic were paid thanks to your kind and very much appreciated donations to our fund. Thank you all. Today I will be paying the bills from Fort Wayne Radiology and the blood lab, and that will use up all of the $2,200 that has been contributed to date. We are still awaiting the bills from Lutheran Health Network for the Emergency Room treatment and follow-up office visits. As they come ín, I will adjust the campaign goal here, just like I did last night to reflect a more accurate estimate of the overall need. Please contribute if you can and share this update on social media as well. As I wrote before, we are missionaries and what we had of financial reserves we already used in paying for the medication and the required office co-pays for private patients in the States because my German insurance refused to cover the costs.
The medical update right now is that the real state of my recovery from both the break and the thrombosis is unknown. Trying to get appointments here is difficult and the earliest have been able to find one with an orthopedist has been the last week in September. We really don't know, though, if I really still need to be in the orthopedic boot or could move to a brace which would greatly improve my mobility. We also do not know the extent to which the deep vein thrombosis has broken up or not under the influence of the Xarelto. That requires finding an appointment with a vein specialist. Please do continue praying about these medical issues.
The Lord bless and protect you!
John D. Martin
This week has gone generally well. It has now been four days since I took any pain medication of any kind, even Ibuprofen, which is great. The big struggle has been finding an orthopedist to look at my leg/ankle/foot to determine when I can finally take off the orthopedic boot and walk normally again. Every place I called was booked until late in September...or the doctors were all on vacation. So, I did take the appointment...which is in three weeks. If I do develop any new or recurring old difficulties with the orthopedic aspect of my injury, I will be back in the German ER.
The other problem is the thrombosis. It is still present and still dangerous which is to say that I would very much appreciate it if people would continue praying for it to dissolve completely and without causing any stroke or embolism in the process.
And I do now know the still-outstanding balance from Fort Wayne Orthopedic: $1,489.60 after the amounts already paid. The balance from Lutheran Health Network is still being processed and I will post it here as soon as I have it. We still need help with the medical debt and any contributions are appreciated.
The Lord be with you,
John D. Martin
Good evening everyonei: The latest update on the medical situation: I went to the doctor here Friday afternoon to get follow-up established on the thrombosis. The doctor thought putting me on Xarelto had been the right decision and said I will need to be on it for three months, possibly longer. I have to make an appointment with a vein specialist tomorrow as well. The other specialist I will need to see is an orthopedist. But the big development for me is that I have felt no need of pain relievers of any kind for more than 24 hours now.
I would still ask people to pray for the DVT to dissolve completely and safely. It is still dangerous. Pray also that the news from the German orthopedist be as good as that from Fort Wayne Orthopedic last Monday.
So, let the parade of answered prayers begin: 1. The Achilles tendon is not torn- hallelujah! 2. I can put weight on my leg again- praise the Lord! and 3. We can fly tomorrow!
My doctor in Fort Wayne recommended very close follow-up in Germany but the good news is that no surgery will be required.
We still have to cover the costs for the treatment received here and thank all who have helped, are helping and will help us with these expenses.
Grace and peace,
John D. Martin
Thanks to everyone who has come to our aid in the last two days. We are very grateful to you all and appreciate your assisting us with this need. May the Lord bless, protect and prosper you all.
We would ask however that you continue to pray for the deep vein thrombosis in my broken leg to dissolve. I have been cleared to fly by our doctor since I am already on a clot breaking medicaiont (Xarelto) and would ask everyone who reads this to pray that the return flight to Germany on Tuesday/Wednesday (it's a late flight) be without any further incident or complication.
Grace and Peace in Jesus the Messiah,