Thank you to all those who have given. We hit the first $1,000 of my $10,000 goal and it has already made a big impact in my life. I was able to cover some payments on my medical bills and am able to make an appointment with a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor I've been wanting to see. Acupuncture and Chinese herbs have been proven to be very effective for managing Crohn's symptoms and now because of your help I can afford to try it out! I'm excited to see additional improvements in my health and continue to return to a full life.
April 7th marks my one month anniversary since I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease. It’s been a whirlwind of a month mixed with good and bad things. Some things that have happened…
- Found new Traditional Chinese Medicine Doctor that uses acupuncture and herbs/roots to help treat my symptoms and reduce stress.
- Decided to stop seeing one of my doctors due to not responding well to treatment and lack of affordability.
- Had a couple “flair up” days where my usual symptoms ramp up to a 10 and had to take a few days off work.
- Switched to a new insurance, since I aged out of the one I was on the same month I was diagnosed. It will provide good coverage but it does have a high monthly payment and a high deductible I’ll need to pay off.
- I stabilized my weight. I was losing weight way too fast in March mostly due to not being able to eat.
- Slowly but surely adding new foods I am able to eat and discovering ones I can’t.
- Have been in an ongoing battle with my previous Primary and Secondary insurances to try to get coverage. I’m not done yet, but I’m becoming an expert and slowly getting everything sent to the right people to make sure claims start to get covered so I don’t get stuck with an additional $11,000 debt. Prayers appreciated on this point as I continue the process.
- Have been able to return to work about 25-35 hours a week depending on frequency of doctor appointments and sick days. Blessed to have a good friend filling in for me and understanding bosses.
Overall, this month has been more challenging than anything I’ve experienced. But I’ve also found a strength and determination in me that I wasn’t sure I had. Words cannot describe how touched I have been by my caring friends and family who have held me when I cried, understood when I cancelled plans or adjusted our plans to accommodate my limitations, they gave me with encouragement just when I needed it, and have let me vent on more than one occasion. My loved ones have helped me face each day this month imparted joy and strength to me when I had none. Thank you, to all who have given and been a part of this journey with me.
This past month I started tapering off the steroid medication that I've been on. On Saturday last week, I had to go to my lowest steroid dose and it's been a rougher adjustment then expected. My secondary long term medication has not fully kicked in yet. My pain level and symptoms spiked and I had to take some time off work. I'm still struggling to eat but I'm drinking really good cold pressed juices and eating very small light meals so I can try and still get some nutrients without so much work for my digestive system. The other issue is I'm becoming aware of how much damage the steroids have done in regards to adrenal fatigue. It causes a lot of insomnia, chronic fatigue, shakiness, trouble focusing, depression, stress etc. I'll be off the steroid completely in 4 weeks so then I can start to recover hopefully.
Even though this past week has felt like a setback it's not all bad news. I got blood work back showing that the medications have not hurt my liver at all and I am tolerating them well. Also my platelet levels and white blood cell counts have gone down which shows my body isn't fighting as much as it used to be.
Now for an update on finances: I've gotten one out of 10+ claims covered by my insurance but I'm still waiting to know exactly how much of the thousands of dollars I'll be owing out of the other claims left. In addition, I'm spending $200+ weekly on alternative treatments that are not covered by insurance. I'll be keeping this fundraising site up for a couple more months to help cover these bills. Please consider donating. Even a small amount takes a huge pressure off of me. Thank you for your prayers and support!