Over my years as a Catholic history author, I have frequently been asked by parents to write history textbooks for specific countries. Unfortunately, major publishers are seldom interested in funding such regionally-specific projects. I am certain, nevertheless, that interest for such books exists, albeit maybe in a more niche market. So, I am turning to you to help me fund the creation of a history textbook on Ireland.
Why Ireland? The real question is why not Ireland. Perhaps no people ever adopted the faith as zealously as the Irish. It was Irish missionaries who Christianized much of Europe during the early Middle Ages. It was Irish scribes who passed on so much of the writings of antiquity in their monastic scriptoria. During the colonial period, the Irish priest became a staple of Catholic life in all English-speaking lands. The contributions of the sons and daughters of Eire to the Church and to western civilization is incalculable. All Catholics should know this history! Furthermore, homeschooling is growing in Ireland, with the right to home educate enshrined in the Irish constitution. This book may be of great use to homeschoolers within Ireland itself.
Here's what I envision. This book will:
- Be suited for 6-9th grade, depending on reading level.
- Cover the entire history of Ireland from prehistoric times to today.
- Have 33 chapters, plus an introduction and conclusion.
- Be illustrated with original illustrations.
- Contain historical fiction vignettes in the style of my Story of Civilization books.
- Include a student workbook and answer key for assignments.
- Cover the history, religion, and culture of Ireland.
- Give full consideration to the influence of the Catholic faith and richness of Irish-Catholic culture.
- Highlight the lives and work of the many eminent Catholic saints of Ireland.
The fundraising goal includes costs for writing time, cover designs, and illustrations. I will write ONE chapter every time the campaign raises $136. So, Chapter 1 will be written when we raise $136, Chapter 2 at $272, Chapter 3 at $408, etc. Money raised in excess of the goal will be put towards the creation of an audio drama of the textbook.
I hope you will consider supporting this project. Your fundraising will help me devote the time for research and writing a book like this requires. But I wouldn't ask you to give for nothing! Giving makes you part of the project, too! Here's what you can get for your contributions:
- $0 + = My gratitude, and a shout out on my Facebook page, and your name mentioned on a special thank you page at the end of the book
- $50+ = Your name on the thank you page, plus a free signed copy of the book.
- $100+ = Your name on the acknowledgements page at the front of the book, plus a free signed copy.
- $200+ = Mention on the acknowledgements page at the front of the book, plus a free, signed copy of the book, as well as the work book and answer key.
- $500+ = Mention on the acknowledgements page, plus I will write you or a family member into the story by naming some characters in the historical vignettes after you, plus two signed copies with workbooks and answer keys.
- $1000+ = Bro, for $1K, I'll dedicate the book to you, plus write you or a family member into the story, plus five signed copies with workbooks and answer keys. Also gratitude. Mucho gratitude.
If you want to get a shout out or mention, make sure to not give anonymously so I know who you are! If you choose to give anonymously, of course, you get treasure in heaven!
Blessings and grace!