- Approximately 830 women die EACH DAY from preventable causes related to pregnancy and childbirth. 99% of these deaths occur in the developing world
- About 35% of women in developing countries do not have contact with health personnel prior to giving birth.
- 8.2 million children under 5 die each year, about 3.3 million of these occur during the first four weeks of life. 99% of these deaths also occur in the developing world
- The majority - almost 3 million of these - die within one week and almost 2 million on their first day of life.
- An additional 3.3 million are stillborn.
- Skilled care before, during and after childbirth can save the lives of women and newborn babies.
- Almost 3 million of all the babies who die each year can be saved with low-tech, low-cost care.
Our friend, Catherine DeVeau, is an aspiring midwife who has been deeply impacted by the global maternity and newborn health crisis. During her midwifery training, Catherine wrote a song called “Fightin’” which is inspired by the stories of many women in the developing world who struggle with access to proper prenatal and maternity care. “Fightin’” shares the inner turmoil of a malnourished and impoverished mother struggling to feed her large family and the conflict tearing her apart over her current pregnancy. The song is a unifying cry to the world to both plead for, and offer help to those women who keep fightin' and validates their need to be recognized as a wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend.
The North State Doula Program is asking for your help to fund a music video that will further raise awareness of this global crisis and better support organizations that are working to train skilled birth attendants and bridging the gaps for safe and accessible healthcare. In an effort to support communities who need the most help in the areas we are passionate about, we have chosen to work with a small team from Nigeria in order to produce this music video. We believe this in one way that we can create a lasting impact and your financial support can help us reach our goal.
Thank you for joining in us to make a difference where we can.
Here you can find some behind the scenes footage of the making of "Fightin'".
No gallery images have been added.